Sunday, February 5, 2017

Prepping for new cabinets

So in like November I had Mike Hendershot come look at our cabinets and talk about spraying them for us.  I had really wanted to paint our cabinets in Billings but I'm SO glad we didn't.  It is a huge job, and we didn't even paint ours, just prepped them and took them to Mike's shop.  So on Dec 27 we agreed that I'd bring the cupboards over, which meant that before that we had to take everything out of our cabinets and have them cleaned and sanded.  We used TSP to take the sheen off and then sanded what we could.  Mike actually did some more sanding to touch up our spots we missed.  Janelle was great at helping me empty out the cupboards and put stuff in the master bedroom and the living room.  It was a mess.

A couple days later, Michael and I prepped our kitchen with plastic and other supplies he'd purchased in Billings that day.  Ugh.  This was a lot of work and I questioned whether it would have been easier painting it ourselves.  In the end I'm glad we did it this way.
Here's Mike sanding the panel I tried to strip.
Here's after they came and sprayed.  It took them all day which meant we couldn't use our kitchen so we ate out twice that day.
Stetson and Michael putting fronts back on.
The little girls had so much fun playing in the cupboards when they were empty and didn't have fronts.

No comments: