Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Honest thoughts

Stetson has a doctor's appt. tomorrow morning @ 9am. I'm pretty much dreading it (not because its early in the am or anything) because he'll have to get shots and I HATE HATE HATE when he has to get shots. I remember the first time he ever had to get them, I was seriously in a state of depression just thinking about it. :( Oh and I won't even tell about when he was like 4 days old and they drained his poor tiny heels for 2 test tubes of blood to check his biliruben levels. :-( Shees louise.

ANYWAY, I've probably spent too much time on the computer tonight. I found 2 really fun blogs--Shana Peterson (Wallace now) and Laurel Peterson (Wicke) both Cowley natives. I laughed out loud when I read some stuff from Laurel's blog. Cowley folks just have a great sense of humor. :) The weather was pretty nice today, hopefully it will stay like this.

We're going for a road trip this weekend to McCook, Nebraska where Michael's bro, Christian and his wife and cutie pie little boy, Carson liveS. They're expecting baby numero dos (yes I'm bilingual) in September, so we're pretty psyched to go see them and their house they bought that we've never seen. I found a pretty sweet poem off of Laurel's blog that I'm sharing--whats funny is she probably doesn't even know who I am, but she does know who the "one-armed mayor" from Cowley is, and refers to him as such in her blog. Guess she never thought I'd read her blog. Well here's the peom, in trubute to not only moms, but dads who give their all raising their kids. I LOVE YOU DAD!! (I love my mom too but she doesn't know how to use her computer so she can't check my blog) :) p.s. I LOVE LOVE LOVED Elder Ballard's talk on motherhood during conference Sunday. I think we all needed that reminder that moms do work really hard and are appreciated, but oddly enough, my fave part of his talk was when he said (after he said how husbands need to validate their wives and express appreciation) wives need to give their husbands a good word and a (this is my fave) FRIENDLY SMILE. I LOVED that. I thought of how SIMPLE of a thing that is, but how much of a difference it makes, and I think of all the friendly smiles Michael has given me and how it just says a million words and says, "I love you, I appreciate you" among many other things. So I'm going to try and give Michael more "friendly smiles."
Okay here' the poem, there wasn't an author, otherwise I would have given credit where credit is due.


She doesn't know she is a hero.
Minute to minute of everyday life--
wiping runny noses
soothing broken hearts.
Putting the toys away
to take them out
and put them back again.
Peanut butter sandwiches
with the crusts cut off,
but he wanted corn dogs...
and apples with no peel.
She's tired today,
patiently explaining obedience--
again.
She doesn't feel like a hero,
more like a referee--
"Was she playing with it first?"
"Let's take turns."
"You can not tie people up without their permission."
She doesn't know she is a hero.
There are no awards
for outstanding service.
There's no spotlight or applause
and a few
with shallow hearts
tell her she is selling herself short
when she could do so much more...
What more is to be done than
creating a world of beauty and wonder
everyday
in a child's eyes?
She doesn't know,
but I watch her in amazement
as she invests all she is
in building a spirit
from the ground up
in partnership with God,
and I am grateful
that I recognize
a hero.

2 comments:

Shana said...

Hello Emily! I was pleasantly surprised to see your comment on my posting. I checked out your blog page and it is so cute. You are quite the little scrap booker.
Your little Stetson is so sweet, he looks so much like his daddy. I'm sure you get that all the time.
It was nice running into you guys last time I was in Cowley.
I know, baby shots are the absolute worst! I hate when the nurses ask you to hold them for them while the inject the shots. It's like, "Yah, make me be the bad guy and hold her down while she cries." NO FUN! But, we know it is for their own good, so we do it anyway right?
I hope to talk to you again soon.

Em said...

Emily I really like that poem thanks for sharing.