Monday, July 29, 2013

Pioneer day 2013

Last weekend was Cowley's day, Paige's blessing and Jacob's farewell.  I debated all week about whether I should go early by myself and the kids so they could go to all the festivities and sing in the variety show, but then I kinda thought about leaving Sat morning instead of Fri, then last minute I decided to go Fri night and stay at Michael n Rachel's so I could do the fun run.  I did the mile and it was quite enjoyable honestly.  Funny though, there weren't many adults doing the mile, mostly kids and a few adults.  I actually ran 3 miles last Wed but its not my usual workout so I chickened out of doing it for the fun run.  Maybe next year.  Running is so much wear and tear on my joints and my hip still pops from old injuries, so lower impact exercises are my preference but I'd  been running a lot here in Billings the last couple weeks since I didn't have a gym member ship or anything yet.  Anyhow, after my run we went to the parade, got lots of candy, tried to go to the program but had to turn around and go home because of uncooperative children, went to lunch in the park and kids games (Kandace LOVED the games and did almost every event, Stetson declined to participate).  Having the kids by myself all weekend was hard.  After that we headed back to Mike's for naps (which noone actually took) then we headed to Asays for some gpa and gma time my kids needed after being with grouchy mom all day.  After naps we went to the brand new log gym (recently renovated) to run through our songs.  Stetson and Kandace were being silly and it was the end of the day and we were all on each other's nerves, so needless to say it wasn't a good practice.

 This is my crew right before the talent show, before the tears.  It stings to talk about this but maybe it will be therapeutic. lol.  We'd been practicing our songs all week but it was hard to get efficient practice time in with 3 kids around, so Stetson kept forgotting the words and would just get frustrated if I tried to prompt him.  We were also trying to memorize the national anthem for a try-out on that was today (which went well thank goodness).  I should have figured right then that I was spreading myself too thin, but I'm stubborn and like Michael says I always do it my way no matter what, so we went ahead and went through with it, trying to squeeze in practice time here and there.  Stetson actually suggested to say a prayer right before he sang so we did, and Hoping for a miracle, we went through with it.  Stetson started out awesome.  He got through like the first verse and forgot a word. He looked over at me and I prompted him.  He went on.  He forgot another word...and I prompted him but he wouldn't keep singing.  He stood there quiet and I said "are you done?"
  And the crowd applauded and I helped him off the stage and he starts bawling.  I set him down behind be because I still have to play for Kandace.  I mess up on the intro of hers, but she does the first verse perfect, forgets the words on the 2nd verse, is still super cute but I'm so frustrated because they have both performed these songs perfectly before.  So after our songs I take Stetson outside (who is still sobbing) and talk to him, about to cry myself.  We talked about why Heavenly father didn't answer his prayer and how we have to do our very best and not expect him to do everything.  I was sick about it because this was literally my biggest fear when I first started teaching him this song, that he'd forget the words or I would mess him up and he would feel bad or be embarrassed.  I know its a minor thing but I was really upset about it but I've tried to keep my mind off it, think happy thoughts, keep perspective and know that we'll look back on this and it won't be such a big deal.  Dad and I had a good talk out on the playground while the kids were getting their energy out.  We talked about how you just have to get back on the saddle after you get bucked off and it was good to talk to someone about it.  Lots of sweet people told him how good he did and I appreciate thoughtful comments.  An older couple was sitting in the back with us before the show started and I was fighting Janelle on my lap who was trying to get down and run around and she tried to get Janelle to go to her so I could have a break.  She played with the kids during the show to entertain them.  A complete stranger.  People are so good.  Her sweet husband told me after the concert how hard it is to get in front of a crowd and how good he thought Stetson did.  Dad helped a lot with the kids and let us drive his honda around all weekend and I so appreciate his help.

Kandace didn't care one bit when she forgot a word.  She's kind of oblivious and just loves to get on stage. :)

After the show the kids lit off fireworks with Adam and Travis.  They LOVED that.  

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I saw pics of you guys in the Chronicle. I think it's amazing that your kids sang at all, so I wouldn't worry about them forgetting some words. They are adorable by the way!