Saturday, July 13, 2013

1st week in Billings

This last week in Billings we...went to the Billings Parmly library (big eye opener for this small town girl).  I remember going to the library in SR with my dad when I was little and there was always this homeless guy who'd hang out there and thats kind what this one was like.  However, we coincidentally got there right before story time and even got a library card.  During story time Stetson's new principal called me and I'd been waiting to hear from them for a while so I took the phone call and in the meantime Janelle had taken off her shoes and was wandering around barefoot.  Two strikes and two broken rules in one day (using the phone during story time and barefooted children).  They might not let us back. It made me miss story time in Lovell where I don't even have to tell them my name, I just plop the books down on the desk (or the kids) and voila.  Here there's a self scanner where you scan your card and then the books.  Very easy but not personable.  I felt lonely that day but when we decided to check out the pool my spirits lifted!  There is an awesome city pool pretty much in our backyard called Rose city park pool.  We got a summer pass and have been almost every day this week.  These kids (Kandace especially) remind me so much of myself at that age.  I LOVED swimming.  The smell of sunscreen and chlorine still takes me back and brings back great memories.    

There's a big pool that Stetson can actually swim in, he's getting better every day.  Then there's a kiddie pool thats perfect for Kandace and Janelle.  Its actually divided into 2 ...one thats 2 ft that Kandace swims in and then one more like Lovell's that Janelle swims in. 



Last night we got a hot n ready pizza from little caesars and against all Michael's wishes went to a free movie at the park (Rise of the Guardians).  It was in the south part of town (which Kambrie warned me about long ago was kind of the ghetto and I was having flashbacks from the city library but it was a beautiful night but way too long.  The movie didn't start 'til after 9 which meant we didn't get home 'til like 11:30 and we are losers and don't stay up that late even in the summer.  The kids thought it was awsome, especially the free cotton candy. 

my kids are loving the picture taking

Michael is doing awesome.  He has 2 classes every morning, they started Monday and he had midterms today.  WHAT?!  They're condensed courses and its pretty hard core right now but he gets up before 6 to study, comes home for lunch, goes back to study some more then comes home for dinner then studies some more.  I actually see him more now though than I did in Lovell and I'm loving it.

3 comments:

Jill Asay said...

So glad to hear/ see you guys are doing good! I kept waiting for an update! How fun to ave a pool practically in your back yard! One of these times we are in billings we want to come visit and see everything!

Kimberly said...

The library in Casper had people to check out your books, but they also had the scanners. My kids LOVED being able to scan their own books all by themselves. Glad you've found some stuff to do up there. I'm slightly jealous. We are so bored down here.

The Asay's said...

So glad you guys are enjoying Billings. It's hard to move at first but it gets better once you discover things you love there. So cool you have a pool so close.