Thursday, March 5, 2009

More firsts


Last night Kandace went to her first BYU vs. Wyo game and later that night had her first bath, which started out pleasant, but after a few minutes she decided she didn’t like it after all. Michael and I were talking last night about how much calmer we are this time around. Whenever Stetson cried, it was like this panic alarm went off inside of me and I thought the world was ending. Obviously I don’t like it when Kandace cries but I don’t worry so much. I was reading in one of my books that crying not only is an indication of hunger, too hot, too cold, tired, irritability, but it can also indicate the simplest thing like boredom. After all its their only way of communicating so they’re going to do it a lot.

A lot of people have asked how Stetson is handling having a new sister—honestly I could not have asked for a better reaction. He truly loves his “baby” and gets excited every time he sees her. His first response when I bring her downstairs after a nap or feeding is “Oh baby!” He loves to hold her and asks to all the time. I don’t think he’d ever turn down an offer. I used to worry a lot about leaving her alone with him in the same room for even a second, but I’m less worried now because he’s been really gentle with her for the most part. He constantly points to her nose, eyes and mouth while naming each part and he kisses her ALL the time and I’ve never even asked him to. Michael might have once but I haven’t, so its precious to me that he does it voluntarily. In addition, Stetson has been an ANGEL since she’s been born, honestly. I don’t know if Heavenly Father is just giving me a little grace period while I adjust to having a newborn, but he really is. I’ve had moments with Stetson when my patience has been tested more than any other time in my life, and I know that through those experiences, my patience has grown and things that would send me over the edge usually are just normal happenings now. I really think Stetson has acted some ways for no other reason than to teach me patience, and I’m grateful for that, because I needed that lesson and feel myself getting better. Anyway, this is all mostly for journaling purposes.
goin to the big game
Matthew & Stetson
Kandace's first bath

10 comments:

Adam, Jeffi and Charlotte Anne said...

Oh my goodness, look how CUTE she is in the tub. Priceless!
~Jeffi
ps I know Michael's birthday is close to mine, but I can't remember exactly when. Tell him "Happy Birthday" from us!!!!!!

nina said...

Your little girl is so pretty! I keep meaning to tell you that, but really she just looks like a little angel.

Unknown said...

I whole-heartily agree that sometimes the way our kids act is really to teach us patience. I have had the same experience. I love the bath picture, Kandace is beautiful.

Kimberly said...

Oh my goodness, that first picture of Kandace is one of the most beautiful pictures of a baby I've ever seen! I'm so glad that things are going so good for you right now, especially that Stetson is acting so well.

Brenda said...

She looks like a little angel.

Em said...

SHe is so precious, and I think that is so great that her big brother loves her so much and that he is adjusting so well to the new person in his life. you are for sure a lucky lady, I can only hope for that when I have a second.

jsmbbaker said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well! Aren't the first days the best?

laura said...

I am glad Stetson has been so good for you! Sounds like he is a good big brother. By the way, the birth announcements were adorable!

Jill Asay said...

I love her picture! I totally see Stetson in her! I've been meaning to tell you that since I first saw her! Do you see it too?

rachel lee said...

Soooooo CUTE!