Monday, November 24, 2008

Gratitude "D" & "E"


I’m grateful for my Dad. I suppose I could share a million stories to help serve justice to the man I very proudly call my dad, and I will share one, but I could never adequately express my appreciation to him in words. When we lived in Santa Rosa we had a wild blackberry bush on our property that we LOVED picking blackberries off of. They were a family favorite of the Simmons.’ Right before we moved to Wyoming, a family in our ward hosted an open house/farewell thing for us, and a friend told me something that really hurt my feelings. Believe me, looking back I realize how silly it was, but believe me, I was absolutely devastated and convinced that my world had ended. When we got home and I told my dad the “sob story”, he listened intently, disappeared and came back a short while later with a white plastic cup filled with blackberries picked for me from the blackberry bush, and I’ll never forget what he told me. He said, “Emily, I want you to understand that men don’t have the best way with words, and sometimes they want you to know they love you and are sorry but they don’ts know how to say it, so they’ll bring you home flowers or something else (in my case it was a cup of blackberries). So just remember that when you’re married and your husband comes home with flowers or something, he just wants to say, I love you, and I’m sorry.”
I'm grateful for Employment--Michael’s and mine. Michael really “brings home the bacon” but I’m still grateful for my little jobs because they give me fulfillment and the chance to grown and learn new things.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Emily- I love reading your "gratitude letters"! Thank you for the little reminders, and that was a sweet story about your dad!

laura said...

I love that story about your dad! So sweet!!

Unknown said...

Well maybe it's because I'm running on lack of sleep, but that story made me cry. I love how tender a father can be and a husband. Thanks for sharing.