Tuesday, July 17, 2012

proud to be a Harrison

We had a Harrison family reunion a while back (July 7, 2012).  A lot of my family members including my dad & his siblings had been making plans for a long time.  Dad has been spending the last 10 plus years writing a book on the history of Fred & Rhoda Harrison, who are my great grand parents.  Dad gave us the book the night of the reunion and had written this in the front cover:
My grandma is in the front row, very left (huge white bow)


Emily, Michael, Stetson, Kandace and Janelle,
Try and make time to read the stories in this book. These people are your relatives and they are in heaven rooting for you.  They sacrificed much that your life might be better. 
They want you to live a good life and keep God's commandments.  They love you and want you to return home with honor.  I appreciate and admire each of you.  Keep up the good work.
Love, dad & grandpa 
I've re-read that a few times since I've gotten the book because I love the way I feel when I read it.  I love thinking of the sacrifices my ancestors did make for me, and the feelings of love and belonging I have when I think of them.  Fred & Rhoda had 7 children.  Their 2nd child was my grandma, Lizzie Harrison Simmons.  She died in '76 before I was born.  I spent a lot of time reading the book during our road trip the week after the reunion and absolutely loved it.  I am so proud of my ancestors and I think its interesting and special that we all have a natural admiration and respect for our ancestors despite shortcomings.  We don't judge and just assume they did the best they could and that God will be the final judge. 
My grandma and grandpa Simmons' experienced hard trials.  After my gma Lizzie had her first baby she got sick and her baby (Laverne) had to go stay with Fred & Rhoda for quite a while.  Finally Lizzie was well enough to come home and take care of her baby.   4 years later, her baby Laverne was killed in a farming accident.  The book only gives some brief facts about her death and nothing else, but I thought about that experience a lot--how they dealt with their grief, how it must have changed their marriage and ultimately their lives forever. . life was rough back then-people say that its hard for us too, just in different ways.  I'm not so sure.  I was reading this on our 30 plus hr car trip across the hot Nevada desert to California and I felt a little less sorry for myself after reading about their lives.  I read about how hard Rhoda worked to take care of not only her children, but the farm, and other household chores that make mine seem like nothing.  I was inspired to work a little harder and complain a little less.  All the sudden I re-evaluted me and Michael's little life here in Lovell and how we're raising 3 little kids and all the sudden I had a different perspective-our daily lives and experiences don't seem so insignificant anymore.  I wonder what people will write about us and our family one day.  It was interesting to find out that I actually come from a long line of very successful, hard working Lovell farmers who spent much of their lives in hot fields irrigating their crops.  Too bad I haven't even figured out how to set a tube yet. lol


all of Lizzie's ancestors had a name tag with Lizzie's name in the upper right corner.  I was so proud to have her name on my nametag and my kids'

I wonder what they'd think of this little squirt lol


baby Audrey, Joel & Trav

We took a little tour of Fred & Rhoda's house and farm.  IT WAS HOT!!
 The book talks a lot about all the love and work that was put into this house--it was known for its beautiful flowers, orchards and shade trees.  Rhoda would always give people some starters from her beautiful flower gardens when they came to visit.  This is where family gatherings took place. 


We concluded the days' activities with a dinner and program at the Cowley church.  Dad told some stories wearing my great-grandpa (Fred Harrison's) scouting uniform.  I am sure proud to be his daughter.and we can't leave out dad & Stetson who couldn't make it until the dinner.  They were helping move cows that day.  I LOVE this pic of Stan & Jan and the boy grandkids.  There is going to be a GREAT book written about these two one day.

1 comment:

Jill Asay said...

What a neat book and it's even cooler that your dad wrote it. I have always thought it was fun to read about our family history. What a neat reunion!