Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers











I have always loved father's day. I love it because I have a great dad. My dad played a pivital role in my life. I have SUCH fond memories of my childhood with me and him. Its amazing how he made time for me and for all my brothers. I always felt like a princess. I always knew I was loved. Our ward had a daddy/daughter dinner once and they took pictures of it and I am absolutely BEAMING in that picture. I need to find a copy and scan it, because I love it. My dad is so charismatic and most people seem to like him and enjoy his personality.


Right after we moved here, my dad's aunt, Emma Lou Meeks was in the nursing home, and we'd go visit her almost every Sunday evening. This is one of many ways I learned service, was through his great example. He tenderly and very patiently talk to her and asked her questions about her past and about his mom (her sister) who I never met. I've learned so many other life lessons through him. Henry B. Eyring said love is spelled T-I-M-E. SO true. This is how I knew I was loved. Thanks dad for being the kind of dad you were to me.




Now I do have another reason to celebrate father's day, and that is because of my great husband. The kids and I made a list of reasons they love him today. Kandace's 1st answer was "Because he loves me." Stetson said things like "because he plays tic-tac-toe with me." Kandace also said she loves her daddy because he takes her to primary. I love their daddy because he is such a great dad. So hands on. He does all the same things I do for them. Michael's brother spoke in our sacrament today and said some touching things about Michael's great dad, Stan. This is a WONDERFUL man. I could not ask for a better father in-law or grandpa for my kids. He is patient, soft spoken, hard working, non-judgmental and so much more. One of my favorite things Christian said was how their dad taught them to be honest. Cows were always getting out and the brothers would joke about keeping them because the cows spent more time in their field than in the actual owner's field, but they knew their dad was honest and expected the same from them. I am grateful for Michael's dad because I know Michael will be the same kind of dad his dad was, and that means the world to me.

No comments: