Wednesday, May 27, 2009

on my mind


So there's this show on TLC I watch occasionally called Jon & kate plus 8. Its about a couple with twins and sextuplets, and you get to see some of their every day life and what it would be like to have multiples (really interesting I think) and I tuned in last night and saw that all the rumors and media headlines about them splitting up are true and it breaks my heart. Its really made me take a closer look at my marriage and want to try harder. I just keep thinking they (Jon & Kate) need to just kiss and make up but I realize its not that easy. I remember watching general conference like 5 years ago at one of my rooommates' homes in Dayton, ID. and the speaker was comparing marriage to this silverware set his wife had kept and preserved for years and years. At first I thought what the heck does silverware have to do with marriage but the longer I've been married the more I udnerstand...we have to take SUCH good care of our marriage, like you would take care of an antique or something. "Take care of" is an understatement, we have to treasure it and be ever so careful of everything we do and say. Anyway, I can't say how sad it makes me that they're thinking about splitting--its easy to get wrapped up I guess.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm sad about it too, I've been thinking of all those little kids who's life will be turned upside down. I want them both to be nicer to each other, and say please and thank you and think of each other instead of just the kids and then themselves. That has been my observation anyway. You are right about the way to treat a marriage Emily. It's work, but it is SO worth it. You are a wise young wife and mother.

Unknown said...

I don't watch the show often, but have seen it enough for this to break my heart too. And it is sad that such a public thing makes me realize that marriage really does take work. Anyway, its nice to have the opportunity to go to the temple and remember how our promises are even more important.