Thursday, May 28, 2009

Better later than never


****I'm thinking seriously about printing off my blog for a journal so a lot of stuff I put on here will be boring to most of you (besides fam) :)****

The top pic I stole from my brother Clay's blog. Its my gpa John's headstone in Santa Rosa, where he lived when he died. The only grandparent I ever really knew was my mom's mom, Yvonne Foulger. My other 3 lived far away or had already passed when I was born. The older I get the more interested I get in my grandparents' lives. I went as far as calling my great aunt Norma Foulger (my grandpa's sister) last year just to ask her random questions about my grandpa because I was so curious. He was a lot younger than her so she couldn't remember a ton, but she did say he was an "Awfully cute little boy everyone made a fuss over him" She said he was a scout, he always wanted a dog, their mom mom finally let him have a little black poodle, he took good care of the dog black Scottie, got ran over, he got another one.

My Grandma said he would always invite members (new, inactive, I’d imagine all kinds) to their home for Sunday dinner, she said John would teach Sunday school at Alcatraz and tell the prisoners that when their time was served, to find john and he would help them get their feet back on the ground, (employment) and one day one of them showed up on their doorstep and grandma was a little “taken back” until my gpa John exlained. :) she was Grandma said John was always doing “just one good thing after the next.” My gpa John served in WWII and had a lot of traumatic experiences I know and it was hard for him to talk about. I know he was a good man. My dad said when he was bishop he was always so good to the widows--always concerned about them and making sure they were taken care of. I hope to learn more about him and about my other grandparents.

1 comment:

Jill Asay said...

It is so crazy to me to read about your family with the last name of Foulger...kind of weird! I wonder if we are related some where way back there?!