Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I hate waiting.

So a while back I decided it'd be cool to "restore" these old dressers in Stetson's room that are looking pretty hashed. So we borrowed a sander from a buddy of ours and got to work. Well it turns out there were like 4 layers of paint on that sucker, so we decided to just "Rough it up" a bit and give it a nice chocolate brown coat. Thanks to GORGEOUS weather here in Laramie so we can work outside, we've got a couple coats of brown on but I decided to add one more step. There's this stuff called crackel paste that you can get at a hardware store and you put a layer on (its looks and consisntency are comparable to marshmallow creme), let it dry then put a final coat of paint and it gives a crackeled/antique appearance. I thought it'd be pretty cool. So after lots of phone calls, questions and a lengthy conversation with some guy at Ace Hardware, I've applied my first coat of crackel paste on a very inconspicuous place on that back of one of the dressers. What I really want to do is put the paste on the whole thing and get it back in the house so it can be dried over night so I can put it back in Stetson's room and put all his clothes back in there that are strewn out all over the place, but I need to make sure it looks o.k. before I proceed. Bottom line--I HATE WAITING!

Well as if you weren't bored already, I'll tell you what went down at my dr. appt. today. I told the doc about Michael's medical school interview and how its very conveniently been scheduled the same time as baby's expected arrival, and he said inducement should be fine so long as I get a good "bishop's score" which includes a series of things (station, dilation, efacement, position and consistency of cervix)they check you for to determine if inducement can happen without increasing your chance of c-section. I'm thinking that unless they break my water or strip my membrances a week before, I'm not going to have a good "score" until right before my due date, because I didn't have Stetson until 2 days before his due date. So anyway, interesting but nerve racking. We'll see what happens I guess!

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I used crackle stuff on a picture frame once, I think it looks cool. It has a picture of Daniel Jay in it when he was 9 years old and he is dressed in a confederate uniform. You can't put a picture like that in what looks like a new frame. Have fun with your project. It sounds like you are in nesting mode Emily!?

Ranee` said...

Pray, that is my advice. My doctor didn't want to induce Jax early because the ultrasound said he was only 6 and a half pounds (RIGHT!!) so I just started praying that he would come early,and he did! ;)

Kristin said...

I would love to see a picture of the dresser! I bet it looks great. Good luck with the waiting, interviews, and child birth! I can't wait to see pictures of your little girl!

Unknown said...

Just a little advice my midwife gave me that I'm passing on, maybe it will help. With Bryant I wasn't due for three weeks, but was so ready! Anyway my midwife suggested that whenever I can I sit in a squatty position or on an exercise ball to keep things open and maybe speed up the dialation process. He was born one week early and I'll never know whether it really helped or not. Anyway it may help if it doesn't bother you too much:)

Kim said...

My advice Walk, Walk, Walk. I knew I'd be getting induced so I walked and bounced/rolled my hips on the excersize ball everynight and when I went in 5 days before my induction I was 3cm and 75% effaced so from then on I did nothing because I didn't want her before the induction. It was pretty good for me I truly only labored for like 3 hours. Good Luck!

laura said...

Post pictures of the dresser, I want to see it! Maybe baby number 2 will come earlier!!

Laurel said...

Hey, Emily! So I don't "know" you personally, but I know of you, and I certainly know of your super amazing family. Besides, if anyone has any kind of connection to Cowley, it kind of makes us related, right? At least that's the way I see it! :0)

You are very kind, but I have to shoot the compliments right back to you. What an adorable family!! I am hoping that you get induced and all works out perfectly.

And by the way, I'm a crackle fan myself. It can be totally charming. Good luck on the project. (I hate waiting,too!)

Hope to talk again soon.