Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day




I became a mother on December 17th, 2006. My immediate feelings were of elation, excitement and joy. Then (and I wonder if other mothers can relate…I hope so) reality hit like a freight train. I was rocking Stetson the 1st or 2nd night in the hospital, and it hit me that I was totally responsible for this precious baby that I loved so much it hurt…and all the sudden my mind fast forwarded to parts of his life and I worried about challenges he would have to face (everyone has challenges, its part of life) and I wondered if I could ever deal with my son having to suffer.

ANYWAY, I could go on and on. Life eventually reached a normalcy, but obviously it never went back to how it was before. I would never have it any other way, but motherhood is hard work. I never dreamed being a mother was so much work. The responsibilities are literally endless, depending on the kind of mother you want to be.


This is an experpt from a journal entry I wanted to share. I am grateful for the moms in my life, especially for my own and Michael's. I think moms are INCREDIBLE. Really, I don't think there's a word good enough to describe it. I hope all you moms have a great mother's day today and realize not only today, but every day how amazing you are and what you contribute to your family and the world.

"Making the decision to have a child-it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --->This quote totally sums up my feelings about motherhood.
--Elizabeth Stone

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother."
-- Lin Yutang

5 comments:

Ranee` said...

What a sweet post. That quote about being a mom and your heart walking around outside your body is so often how I feel!

rachel lee said...

your mom is so pretty....

Em said...

Emily, I really like this poat I can relate, by the way I love the quotes.

Mark & Shayla said...

Emily--you always have the best posts, I love reading them.
I want to know what the site was that you said you could go to and print your blog pages off.

Shana said...

I have never seen a picture of your mom before. She is a really pretty lady. That was such a sweet journal entry. Well stated and all the emotions written were explained just right. No matter your age, race, social status, experience with children, etc... I'm sure that at first mothers feel that same exact same way.
All the same, IT IS AMAZING!
Happy Mother's Day to you! :)