Thursday, August 6, 2009

The way of a disciple

I've been struggling with something lately, well for a long time actually and I decided a while back that I was going to "fix it for good." I was dilligent about praying, reading my scriptures and doing other things in attempts to "fix" my problem. A week or 2 went by and nothing. Well I was expressing my frustration to my husband tonight, and he brought something huge to my attention. He reminded me that we shouldn't always expect answers to prayers (or anything for that matter) right away, Heavenly Father works at his own pace, not ours.

Anyway, this really reminded me of a great talk given by Elder Uchtdort called "The way of a disciple." He teaches that "We don’t acquire eternal life in a sprint—this is a race of endurance." And that "Too often we approach the gospel like a farmer who places a seed in the ground in the morning and expects corn on the cob by the afternoon."

I'm going to try again and keep this in mind. Just thought I'd share.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...I have been struggling with something similar and your husband is right, His time not ours!! Sometimes that is so hard to remember, especially when you really want an answer.

Brenda said...

I guess that is the test, to stay faithful and trust him. It sure is hard sometimes.

jsmbbaker said...

Great quotes! A wise man once told me that sometimes you have to act one way or another and then the Lord will tell you if you made the right choice or not. It worked for me! Let me know if you need some assistance!

jsmbbaker said...

Great quotes! A wise man once told me that sometimes you have to act one way or another and then the Lord will tell you if you made the right choice or not. It worked for me! Let me know if you need some assistance!