Saturday, August 8, 2009

Home improvement

When we moved in about a month ago I had a long list of "to do's" to make our house a little homier. One was to put up window coverings throughout the house. Well since I'm pretty much useless in the "domestic" domain (sewing mostly) I went to my wonderful wonderwoman friend, Brenda. :) She's amazing! She's an expert in home repair, she remodeled practically her whole house BY HERSELF, she's a fabulous cook, she does darling homemade crafts..the list goes on. Anyway, she said she'd help me and I could NOT be happier with the results. She made way cute curtains for Stetson's room taht match his bedspread perfectly (he's sleepin in there so I'll have to post later). Then she helped me put up the rods in the living room with her cordless drill and we put up some really pretty white curtains in there (she has the same ones in her living room and they're so pretty). Yesterday she made my bedroom window coverings which we used out of my bed sheets because they match the bedspread. I know, how awesome is that?? I just got some material for the tabs that matched the bedspread and voila. I'm absolutely in love. She even made draw backs (?) that I'll have to put up later. Right now I am just loving it all.

before
after

The other thing we've been working in is our flower garden. I've ALWAYS loved fowers and loved adirming other people's flower gardens. I like to see how different people use their flowers, what kinds they use and how they arrange them. I wanted an "overflowing" garden of perennials but learned that they take a couple years to really fill out, so I got to work. It took a while but its finally come together. I only wanted perenials because they come back every year and I didn't want to replant again, so I went to a greenhouse in Cody and got $50 worth of perennials (which wasn't that much). Fortunately, the WONDERFUL, very talented lady who helped me had some starters from her flower garden that she shared with me. She also brought dirt, cedar mulch and then helped me plant. I am SO thankful for people who are willing to share their talents with me. Hopefully I can get better at these kinds of things and one day be able to help someone else!
we didn't have much to start with
getting there...
ta da! This is a horrible picture of it, unfortunately the lighting wasn't working with me but its actually really prety I think!

4 comments:

Teri said...

Brenda is an amazing lady! Everything looks great...it's so fun to get things like that done. :)

Unknown said...

Where are you living?

The Asay's said...

Your curtains look great, and so does your flower garden. Brenda is such a sweetheart.

Kristin said...

YAY! I get to see the updates on your blog. (Thanks for the invite, or for going public, I'm not sure which.) I love the picture of you guys dressed up at the ward activity. So cute! And your curtains do looks great.