Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day


In no way am I an expert on environmental issues, but I do have a little something to say bout earth day this year. I never thought much of “going green” until I had my kids, and I started thinking about things differently. I want my kids to enjoy the same beauty and environmental sources that we enjoy every day (clean water, etc.). I did take an environmental health class in college and we went to a waste water treatment center, and it dawned on me for the first time (I know I’m a slow learner) that everything we put in our trash has to GO SOMEHWERE, and everything we put down our drains in our bathrooms and kitchen sinks have to GO SOMEWHERE and since then I’ve been thinking more about what I put down my drain and in my trash. So I try to make a small difference in a few ways—

1. I recycle my newspapers. I hope everyone else does—its so easy to do, and there’s places to recycle almost everywhere. Call your town officials or ask around to find out where they’re located.

2. I use a reusable bag when I go shopping (as shown above). This is SO easy to do and if we all did it, I think we’d make a huge difference!! I’ve also found that these reusable bags hold a lot more groceries than a single plastic bag, meaning fewer groceries for me to carry from my car to the house.

3. I try to stay away from buying plastic bottles. Instead I have a red one (as shown above) I refill and take to step and drink out of at home. Its cheaper for one, and so much better on the environment. If plastic bottles don’t wind up in a landfill, taking years and years to decompose, then they end up hurting wildlife it seems.

Anyway, this is all I’m going to say about that. But I do hope you will all go out and buy a reusable grocery bag if nothing else! Happy Earth Day. :)

4 comments:

Trevor & Andrea said...

good points! hmmm definitely something to think about

Brook said...

I agree! It's crazy to think about that... have you seen the comercial about a water bottle that someone was using while working out..their line was "30 minutes on a tred-mill...forever in a land fill." I thought that was crazy!!! I just didn't think about it! That's good to know you like the bags. I wasn't sure of how big of a pain they would beespecially with kids... I just thought it was one more thing to remember:) Thanks for the post!

Mandi Burrell said...

Hey You...so it posses a slight problem if you will only be in Laramie until mid June. Cause we aren't coming through until July 17th. There is no way you will still be there???? Becky and Jason were even going to meet up there, Shoot we will just have to change some plans. Let me know where you will be?

Kristin said...

I like to think I am good at "going green" but I need to get some grocery bags so I don't keep taking the plastic ones. I liked this post. You inspire me!