Thursday, October 1, 2015

Billings symphony chorale

"Promise me you will not spend so much time treading water and trying to keep your head above the waves that you forget, truly forget, how much you have always loved to swim."    Tyler Knott Gregson

A few weeks ago I tried out for the Billings Symphony Chorale.  Some friends of mine in our ward told me about it.  They're actually in High plains chamber group which is what I wanted to be in, but after speaking to the conductor over the phone multiple times, he thought I should try out for this.  There's about 65 members, and we sing Latin, Italian, traditional, folk, all sorts of stuff really. IT. IS. AWESOME.  It was scary to try-out.  When my audition time was confirmed, I went out to the garage and dug out all my old music from college and found Caro Mio Ben and another Italian piece.  I was pretty nervous.  I u- tubed some versions on my phone and sang along to the accompaniment and recorded myself singing it acapella on my phone and practiced it whenever I could.  I ended up singing both pieces for the audition and then sight-reading in solfege which I haven't done for a really long time.  It was pretty low-key and you don't have to be amazing to be in the choir but there are some really great singers in the group and I love singing with them.  I'm still learning the music and its intimidating sometimes since I'm so out of practice and I joined a little late, but such a great experience.  It really feeds my soul and makes me so very grateful for the gift of music and for the chance to experience it.


Michael's job at St. Vincents in GI doesn't start until October 12th, so I've been subbing like crazy.  I sub in all different age groups, mostly elementary.  I thought I'd enjoy that the most but honestly its been a lot of work.  My job is definitely easier when I come into an organized room where there are lots of procedures and organization, and if I ever taught full-time, I would definitely want to be one of those teachers but I don't know if I have it in me.  Elementary teachers have to be so organized and it requires a ton of energy.  Michael has been holding down the fort at home but I still feel constantly like I'm behind in everything.  I'm taking 2 online classes for keep  my PTSB certificate current.  I'll be glad when thats over.  Stetson is in flag football, Janelle started preschool, I have rehearsals every Monday, I play vball at the Y on Wednesdays--there's just a definite hectic nature to our lives that I hope subsides after Michael's job starts and I'm home.  I don't know how working moms do it.  Wow.

1 comment:

Jill Asay said...

Loved readying all your updates. It's hard to get caught up some times, but so fun to have in a book and look at later!