Saturday, July 12, 2014

When he's through with me

We have lots of baptisms in our ward which has been a blessing for me.  I've been to lots of "traditional" baptisms for 8 yr olds but since moving to Billings, Michael and I have been able to see lots of converts get baptized into the church.  Today Stetson and I went to the baptism for Ivy Haynes and her parents.  Michael and I subbed for her primary class a couple of times and Ivy was a treat to have in class because she was very reverent and seemed happy to be there.  Michael has recently been called as one of the primary teachers for this class so Ivy asked if Michael would confirm her tomorrow and she asked if I would speak on the HG.  It was great.  Baptisms are a great "break" from the daily grind I'm in as a mom of 3, especially when Michael's working a 24 hr shift in Powell.

The best part of this baptism though was when the RS president welcomed the mom into the ward.  I've always loved this RS pres.  She is down to earth and genuine.  Noone in my ward reads my blog so I get to talk about them. :)  She talked about the fact that she'd dealt with the ups and downs of depression her entire life and that her husband has stayed true and supportive to her this entire time.  One time she asked him why he's stayed with her this entire time and he said it was his love for her and the fact that he'd seen "glimpses" of what she will be in the next life when Heavenly Father is "through with her" so to speak.  This touched my heart and was something I loved hearing and thinking about.

I know Heavenly Father has very deliberately given us each our set of trials and they will make us great!  They are stepping stones to get back to him and especially to be like him, which is someone so much greater than who we are.  Knowing this doesn't make trials seem any easier and when we're in the thick of them its almost impossible to take a step back and recognize the value of them, but in this moment during this baptism and when I feel the spirit the strongest, I can understand and appreciate my trials a little better.
I loved to see that this awesome woman had a gospel perspective of her trials and was willing to share it with all of us.

No comments: