Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stetson's letters

My brother and his wife had their 5th baby last Friday, 3 months early.  Everybody's ok but the baby will have to be in the NICU for a while, and its scary and stressful.  Anyway, we sent a package with notes and treats and I wanted to remember Stetson's note.  He is a funny fella.  This is what he said:  "You have a baby!!  Dear Clay & Heather, I hope your baby feels better soon.  Do you know what its named yet?  yes   no (they're supposed to circle one)  I can't want to see the not the baby but the hole family even the baby!  I want to come to your house soon."
This next note is one of those things that makes being a mom ALL worth it.  There was a great quote on pinterest: " Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she's screwing up."  I am that mom who worries a lot and blames myself for all my kids mistakes and misbehavior, thinking the root of the problem has to go back to something I did wrong.  This is something I'll have to overcome because I know its not healthy or fair, but tonight when I read this note I remembered that I really do have one great kid.  Before Stetson went to bed tonight he was going through the computer desk drawers making a mess trying to find some paper, I assumed he was trying to write a letter and I kind of got after him and told him he couldn't write a letter tonight and that he needed to go to bed.  He was really bummed then because he told me the letter was for me and that now I wouldn't be surprised.  Uh..what do you say to that??  I told him I would forget about it and he said no I wouldn't because I'm really good at remembering things.  haha.   So he goes to bed and (at least I thought) and I was on the phone on the stairs when he stuck this note inside one of Kandace's boots that were on one of the bottom steps.  I didn't really notice him put it there and then Michael told me when I got off the phone that he left me a note so I went and got it and this is what it said: 
"Dear mom I love you to heaven and beond inthinaty (beyond infinity) times.  I LOVE your work for us when can I?_____ (I'm assuming he wants me to insert some sort of job he can do for me)
Love Stetson
 for when can I help you______________What can I do?  Write down as many as you like" and then he leaves a bunch of blanks.  The circle with a dot stands for "eye" so it says I love you.
I didn't even do anything out of the ordinary today for Stetson.  When he got home from school he played the wii for a minute then he had to turn it off and got mad at me, then we had dinner and then Michael had scouts and I took the kids to the Y while I swam laps.  Then we came home, I gave everyone baths/tubs then Michael came home and we read scriptures and went to bed.  I will treasure this note forever and I hope I remember to pull it out and read it when he's 17 and doesn't like me anymore and tells me I don't know anything.  I've told Michael before that I always worry that my kids won't ever have any inkling of what Michael and I have done for them as parents and how hard we work--I worry that they won't appreciate us and maybe that's selfish thinking but I guess the one and only reward I want for being their mother is to know that they appreciate me and love me for it and today I felt appreciated.   I love you Stetson Asay to heaven and beyond infinity times.

2 comments:

Jill Asay said...

What a sweetheart Stetson is! He always writes the cutest and funniest things!

Mark & Shayla said...

I know its weird but the story about Stetson's letter just made me cry. You are a great mom and he is a sweetheart.