Sunday, March 9, 2014

state bball 2014

 This weekend was the 1A/2A state basketball tournament in Casper, Wy.  We'd talked about going as a family on Thur so we could watch the entire tournament but Stetson had school and bday parties and a bball game on Sat and I stewed about going down by myself with just Kandace but decided to watch from home via WHSAA live streaming but when they made it to the championship game we decided to go!  So we left Sat about 1 and got there about 5.  Rocky went in as the 4th seed so they played Big Horn (1st seed) on Fri and beat them in a really close and exciting game.  Fri they played Pine Bluffs and all I knew about them is they had a 6'7 freshmen  but we beat them in double over time!  It was one of the best games I've ever watched.  We were behind most of the game, by 11 at one point and came back to win by like 5 or something I think it was.  I was so happy for them.  The coaches and players work so hard day in and day out--our little town has a good reputation for sports I think and it was awesome to see them be a part of something so great.
 Rocky right before tip off against Wyo Indian.    We fell to Wyo Indian, final score was 53 69 I think but I couldn't be more proud.  They worked their tails off and had an outstanding season.  GO GRIZZ!  Rocky only graduates a couple seniors this year, only one of which started, so we'll be even stronger next year.  Wyo Indian had like 4 senior I think, one of which was a 5th yr senior so hopefully we can knock 'em out next year and go all the way.

I remember going to watch my brother Michael play HS bball for Montgomery when I was little.  Playing HS sports in Santa Rosa was a pretty big deal since the schools are huge and athletics are way more competitive but most of my brothers played.  I remember they warmed up to ACDC "Thunder Struck" and my favorite part of going to bball games was watching the cheerleaders.  I've moved on past the cheerleaders thankfully and one of my ABSOLUTE favorite things to do now is watch Cannon and Cole play.  They are such natural athletes and such hard workers.  It would be a delicate balance trying to coach your kids/play for your dad but they seem to work it out and I LOVE them and am so proud.

1 comment:

Jill Asay said...

Fun weekend for you guys!