Monday, September 10, 2012

journal entry

Yesterday my oldest brother Michael was sustained and set apart as bishop of the Cowley 1st Ward.  His couneslors are Mike Allred and Casey Crosby.  We snuck in a little late and sat in the overflow and couldn't hear that great, but I think I heard the most important stuff.  People around town had been joking and speculating for a while about who it was going to be.  Michael said he "hated knowing" because its hard to lie. :)  Pres. Caldwell and his counselors were all there for the occasion.  Pres. Caldwell talked about how our leaders are called of God and that these are the men Heavenly chose and that pres. Caldwell had no doubts that the Lord would sustain these men.  I was so touched by the spirit.  I love feeling the spirit--it motivates me to be a better mother and wife, serve in my calling better and do all those things I should.  I wish I could bottle up that feeling and have it with me all the time.  I know the church is true.  I wish I was better.  I am so inspired by the great people in our community and the way they live their lives.  I grew up in the other Cowley ward but I respect and admire the Cowley 1st warders just as much.  Michael's gpa Monk was 1st counselor in the out-going bishopric.  These men give up SO much time to serve in these callings.

  My neighbors when I was growing up in Cowley were Ken & Carol Banks.  Carol passed away last Fri.  Ken Banks is the nicest guy I ever knew.  Whenever I saw him he acted like were were best friends and always had a huge smile and nice things to say.  Every summer when I came home from college he'd yell from across the street "did you get smart yet?"  or something to that effect.  When Michael bore his testimony he mentioned that it was hard going to church that day and he'd joked around with his boys about skipping.  His youngest, Adam said "no dad, I think you need to be there this time."  Michael said that he'd bet his kids a dollar that Kenney banks would still be there this morning passing out programs, and that if Kenny was there, Michael could be there, too.  Kenny was there passing out programs.  I gave him a hug, told him we loved him and that he was in our prayers. 

Its hard knowing what to say when someone gets a new calling, especially like this.  I don't know if "congrats" is the right word.  I know that a calling like this takes a lot of time and adds stress and heartache to your personal life, but I know that faithful bishops and their families are blessed.  I was happy for Michael because a calling like this is a reflection of how you live your life. 

No comments: