Thursday, September 3, 2009

If I actually ironed...


This is how I would be doing it today. I am giving potty training my ALL today and tomorrow at least and its sucking the life out of me. My friend sent me a book called Potty Wise. Its written by the same authors as Baby Wise. Their method was derived in the '70's by 2 psycholgists trying to teach bowel elimination to handicapped adults, and its been carried over into modern methods and its supposed to be really successful, except of course with me. :) We're (Stetson and I) supposed to stick some undies on a teddy bear, give it a sip of water, check to see if he's dry (which he will be obviously), reward him if he is, play with him a minute, then have him sit on the potty. They have dolls that actually pee in the potty, but ours doesn't so at this point I sneak a couple ounces of water in the potty when Steston's not looking, make a "ssssss" sound, take the teddy off the potty and then we excitedly congratulate the teddy for going and give him a prize...after a few minutes I do the same with Stetson. I'm supposed to repeat this whole process multiple times every day. Yeah, I know.

Stetson LOVES role playing with teddy, he thinks its great fun. His fave part is running to the potty to dump teddy's "pee" in the toilet then flushing it. The only thing is, Stetson isn't going in the potty...yet. He'll sit there a long time, but as soon as I get him off, he goes. It's making me crazy!! I know its only the first day, but the book made it sound like they'll catch on really fast, and Stetson isn't so far. I didn't think it would be so exhausting, but it is. Doing the whole role play with teddy with a fake smile on my face, taking the soiled undies off Stetson, wiping the pooh off his bum (over and over again)...its a little frustrating. I think potty training is the true test of a mother's patience. I'm trying really hard, though!

6 comments:

Maria said...

Potty training is so hard! I wish I had advice, but I don't. We tried everything (underwear on the bear, sticker charts, rewards, cold showers, etc.) Nothing really worked that well but one day it clicked. I've heard with some kids it's a cinch so I'm hoping Stetson is one of those! :)

The Hokanson's said...

Good luck! I don't look forward to that with Hal! If you learn any great ideas while doing it let me know!

Lindsey said...

Brinley was the SAME exact way as Stetson. She knew everything to do but would NOT actually go in the toilet. She hates the feeling of being wet in her undies and did relatively well staying dry for hours at a time. Meanwhile we would try every half hour or so but nothing. Then after a non successful try she would tell us she was going right at that point. It was so frustrating. We went to the dr for her appt and she said she probably isnt ready. If we push her too hard it will take longer so we will try again in a month. Its so hard!

Kimberly said...

I feel for ya Emily. I would say just stick with it. I know that even after one day it feels like you've been trying FOREVER and you already want to take a break, but with my girls the best thing was to NOT STOP, but just keep going. It took a few days for either of them to actually go in the toilet (if you really think about it, of course it's hard for kids to make themselves go, they've never had to pay attention to when their bladder feels full or how to empty it). After that first time it should get much easier (although there will still be accidents). Good luck!

Em said...

I do not envy anyone beginning potty training it is a nightmere. It was the most stressful thing for me the first time I tried with Paiglee that I said it would just have to wait. But one thing I have learned with Paiglee's potty training: kids can sense when mom is stressed which can hurt the training process, and really they know what they are suppose to do especially when you show them over and over and explain it to them they may not talk much but they get it, but htey just may not want to do it, if Stetson is at all stuborn like mine then it takes time. I don't mean to sound discouraging but you just have to keep trying and maybe you don't potty train in a few days like so many books say is possible ( I tooo was frustrated cause the book I read made it sound so easy and it wasn't)little steps over time maybe a chart for when he just sits on the potty he gets a sticker or when he says he has to go pee but doesn't reward that the small stuff leads to the big stuff that is kind of how it was with Paiglee and remember each kid is different so although the book says one thing go with what you think works best for him. Also ask lots of people what they did I got a ton a good ideas although I didn't try all I picked a few meshed them together and then when I wanted to start I stuck to it and for some reason it worked that time. Sorry about the long comment but i totally know how you feel I mean I was just there and I am still there with the poop. Good luck.

Jill Asay said...

Oh man...I feel your frustration! Just keep trying! Like everyone else has said...I think you just really have to wait until he's ready! You might be, but unless he is it's just frustrating for mom! Keep up the ideas and something will click! Have you tried lettin him pee outside? ONe of my friends said that's how she trained her boy. Just an idea! Good luck!