Friday, December 19, 2008

realization


So I've been look at everyone's blogs and I'm seeing images of beautifully decorated Christmas plates carefully packaged and ready to take to friends/neighbors, with a sparkling clean houes in the background, and these are moms with multiple kids, and I'm just starting to have this great realization as I approach my 2nd year of being a mom around the Holidays. I'm not quite sure how to put it, but basically it amazes me what moms do around the Holidays and I'm starting to feel a little pressure. The first year Michael and I were married I decided to do the "wife thing" and make Christmas plates to take around to some family and friends. Well to my surprise, it took an unbelieveable amount of work and effort--I couldn't believe that what was supposed to be fun and simple ended in craziness and stress. Last year (our 2nd year being married during Christmas) I must have been on the crazy train because the DAY before we were supposed to leave for home Michael and I did the following: baked and decorated a homemade cake for Stetson and had his 1st bday party with lots of people over, baked like a million sugar cookies, frosted and decorated them, baked homemade bread to take to friends/neighbors, and of course tried to clean house and pack to leave the next day. Well I think I'm starting to learn my lesson. This year I didn't even feel bad about not taking Christmas treats to friends/neighbors (except sisters I visit-teach) and I left a ton of Christmas decorations in storage because I didn't feel like putting them up then taking them down again. I'm just SO TIRED. Anwyay, I know I'm weak, I'm not in denial of that at ALL, this is just kudos to all you amazing moms who do it ALL. I don't know how you do it.

10 comments:

Em said...

I think there are some very amazing women out there. The picture in your post is me. I have been waiting to get all the "stuff" done so I can sit and enjoy the holiday rather than run around with my head cut off. Plus I am sure if I were pregnant I wouldn't want to do all the hard work of putting plates together.

nina said...

#1 rule of surviving motherhood: Don't ever compare yourself to other moms.
Trust me, those other moms don't have it all put together either. Just because they capture one moment on camera that looks put together doesn't mean that right after they took the picture the bowl of cookies weren't dropped on the floor or a child falls off a chair, or... (you get my point). For example, we took pictures of our baking day, but I conveniently left out the pictures of dozens of sugar cookies that we had to throw away because I burnt them ;) Yeah, doing all that extra stuff is stressful and trust I wouldn't be doing it if I was seven months pregnant! Your doing just what you should be enjoying your family around the holidays!

Tracy said...

Don't STRESS about the small stuff!! You are doing what's most important for your family now. Your day will come, faster than you know, when you will have time for the extra stuff. Remember, there's only "ONE" you and only YOU can do what you were sent to this earth to do!! Like Dani would say to me, does it matter in the eternities if you took Christmas plates to your neighbors? ENJOY your Christmas and this time in your life!! :-)
Merry Christmas!!

The Simmons Six said...

Every woman/mom has this feeling and it comes and goes. Just remember we all love each other no matter what comes around at Christmas.

Brenda said...

Good advice from smart women, nobody can do it all.

rachel lee said...

Make it a family event! Everyone can get together to decorate the tree or make cookies. You dont have to do it all on your own...

laura said...

Maybe those women who look like they are doing it all, aren't taking a shower or making dinner because I can't do it all! Plus it is hard having a kids birthday to throw in there!

laura said...

Not to mention you are preggers!! Just take it easy!!

Shana said...

Are you in Wyoming this week? I am here at my mom and dad's house until Jan 3rd. I hope to see you in town or at church. :)

Kristin said...

I'm glad you didn't try to do it all! I bet Christmas was still cheery without those extra decorations! :)