Wednesday, December 27, 2017

growing pumpkins

 Michael and I are in disagreement about whose idea it was, but since I'm writing this, I'll say I had the idea of planting pumpkins this year as a way for the kids to earn money for college and what not.   There was a spot on the edge of one of his dad's fields right by Daniel's house where we planed 40 hills of pumpkins. I asked for a variety when I bought the seeds at the green house and we had some big ones, medium ones, baby orange and baby white.  Next year we'll have to get some big white ones.  It was a miracle watching them grow from seeds to great big pumpkins.  It was always the highlight of our day to go check the pumpkins.  When Stan sprayed the adjacent field for weeds, Jacob very kindly covered our little plans with plastic bags.  Warmed my heart.  About halfway through summer, some cows broke through a fence and trampled maybe a 1/3 of our pumpkins but we still have a great harvest.


No comments: