Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Stetson's first day of kindergarten!!

Today was the day Stetson has been waiting for "For forever" as Stetson would put it.  He has been wanting to go to kindergarten since preschool got out.  Stetson was up at 7, ready for breakfast and ready to get the show on the road!!  Janelle and I walked him to school and it went pretty good.  When we first got to the playground, Stetson said "mom I don't know any of those kids, I don't want to go to kindergarten."  I explained that most of them were older kids that wouldn't be in his class and tried to assure him that his friends from class would be there soon.  Even when we did spot some familiar faces, he wanted to stay close to me 'til it was time to line up, which was fine with me.  After the kids went into the classroom I headed home feeling proud of myself for not making a scene lol and then saw a little boy bust out of one of the classrooms bawling for his mom, who was around the corner crying, too.  I think they'd just moved here so it was an extra hard say for them.  I wanted to go give her a hug and try to help somehow but the principal was right on it thankfully.  Being a mom is hard!! Truly though I have great memories of elementary school and had a great time.  Michael has really good memories of elementary, too.  A long-standing Simmons' tradition is on the first day of school, all the kids line up in front of the house and hold up the number of fingers they'll be in that year.  (2 fingers for 2nd grade and so on.)  I think kinders give a fist, or something like that, so that explains Stetson's fist.  I sure LOVE this boy like crazy and was so proud of him today.



Kandace is sort of wishing she was going to school today, too and felt a little left out.  At least her clothes match lol



3 comments:

Mark & Shayla said...

So proud of you for holding it together! :) Hope his first day was great.

The Asay's said...

He will love kindergarten. He is such a cutie.

Brenda said...

What a sweet post Emily. I see him every day and he doing fine!