Monday, July 7, 2008

More lessons learned


I was sick yesterday—sicker than I’ve felt in a long time and pretty down in the dumps about it. Today I was uplifted by a comment on someone’s blog. She shared the following quote:

“[Several years ago I watched] a close friend my age decline physically from multiple sclerosis. I had seen him gradually lose his ability to walk, to stand, and then to sit. During the stage when he was fully bedridden, his wife passed away from cancer. His family wheeled him into her funeral on a mobile bed. . . . ("Reason, Faith, and the Things of Eternity,“ Elder Bruce C. Hafen, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute Speech, March 21, 2008.)"

Along with this quote, she shared some thoughts of trials and how they come in all shapes and form, and I felt pretty humbled. Kind of like when I was complaining about Stetson and watched a woman at the pool later that day patiently take care of her little boy with autism. Yesterday while I was laying in bed, I kept thinking, “what happened to the days when everything went right and I didn’t have to struggle with anything?” Being sick I suppose is a good reminder that life isn’t always supposed to be like that.

When I think of people who are so much more dedicated to a righteous cause than I am, I realize that so often, I’m stuck in my “comfort” and I’m scared to leave what I already “know” for something that I know is a million times better. I’m so grateful to belong to a church that teaches us that life experiences hold a great purpose and that we’re blessed for them.

4 comments:

Em said...

What a great post, I have been thinking about smiliar stuff lately.

Brenda said...

Well said............

Maria said...

I'm sorry you are so sick! I liked your insight. I need to take it to heart and look outside myself more.

Maria said...

One more thing, how do you get the blogs that you love to show when they're updated? Does that even make sense?