Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley

1910-2008
I am grateful for church leaders like President Hinckley who have paved the path for us and shown love and a Christ-like example. My favorite memory of President Hinckley was when I was attending college at BYU-Idaho (Ricks) and they dedicated the Gordon B. Hinckley building (where almost all my classes were). I watched the broadcast from the Performing Arts building, but I'll never forget how I felt when he spoke. During his talk he said something along the lines of, "I love you...(and then got choked up and you knew he meant it, and I felt like he was talking just to me)....I love you because I know you get down on your knees every night and pray to your Heavenly Father..."and thats what I remember the most. I LOVED it because like many of us do, I get so down on myself and feel like I'm not good enough and never will be, and feel so frustrated with my efforts, and his words gave me so much comfort and reassurance that I was doing "O.K." and that my efforts weren't going unnoticed. I know he was truly inspired by Heavenly Father and I'm grateful for him in my life!!

4 comments:

laura said...

I just heard the sad news and you already have it on your blog. Wow! That is great you have aerobics classes to teach. I can't believe 35 degrees was a warm day! That is crazy. Are you planning on going to the reunion this year?

Lauren said...

We will miss him a lot. Just imagine how happy he is to see his wife!

Kimberly said...

I'm like you Emily. I remember being at BYU-I when he was there for the building dedication and the thing I remember the most is when he said I love you and then he got choked up for a really long time. It made me choke up. It's something I'll never forget.

Brenda said...

What a sweet testimony Emily. I loved him. I was one of those people that kept praying for him to get to stay a little longer.