Monday, February 23, 2015

Sleeping Giant

 A couple of Friday's ago, I had dad take Janelle home with him when he was up for his temple day and take her to Jan's so we could take the other kids skiing the next day, which was Valentine's Day.  Michael had heard some great things about sleeping Giant from one of the Powell ER docs and its cheaper so we tried it out.  Michael got me a gift card to the ski station for Christmas so I got my own boots and new pants this year.  Next year I hope to get skis.  It was about 40 F which makes it easier on the kids and us amateurs aren't too picky about snow conditions, so it was great for us.  I had a great time skiing and wish I could go more often.  This was Kandace's first year.  Her and Stetson had a private lesson for the first hour.  Kandace liked the lesson, and she liked when she got to ride up on the magic carpet.  After the lesson, I thought she was more independent than she actually was because I let her go one time because I was waiting for Stetson and she biffed.  Bad mom.  After that she was pretty hesitant. Hopefully I can talk her into it again at the end of this year when Stahle's weaned and Michael and I can take the kids.  Stetson did ok.  I was hoping he could have learned more technique from his instructor, but he still pretty much does the snow plow the whole time without turning really.  He actually crashed into a fence his first time down.  Its actually hard when you  haven't been for a year.  My first time down was scary, even though it was an easy hill.  Considering its been a year and I've had a baby since the last time I went. The rest of the time was smooth sailin for me though.  I need to try harder hills and challenge myself.  Private lessons would be fun.

Michael was a champ and kept Stahle in the lodge the whole time.  I appreciate him.  At one point I had to go chase Stetson down who had gotten on the ski lift by himself, and during this time Kandace crashed and since I was helping Stetson, Michael had to climb the little hill by himself to rescue Kandace.

Someone suggested a hoola hoop for Kandace and I so I could control her speed better.  It worked pretty good.



2 comments:

Jill Asay said...

You guys are quite the skiing family! Sounds like a fun day!

Mark & Shayla said...

You are so good to take your kids out to do things like that. Hopefully Kandace will give it another try. After our 8th grade ski trip I never wanted to go again!