Thursday, January 2, 2020

New Orleans!

For some reason I deleted most of my NOLA pictures off my phone but here's some favorites.  Prior to our trip I had researched some of the best things to do while in NOLA and one was to see the St. Luis cathedral, eat beingets, eat at the Commanders Palace and see the French Quarter.  We pretty much did everything we'd set out to do.  I was definitely more excited about doing "all the things" than my traveling companion.  I remember putting the St. Luis Cathedral on my phone and it will tell you how to get there if you're walking, and luckily it was just like a 10 minute walk from my hotel and when the beautiful, historic cathedral came into sight, it was like magic for me.  I  was surprised they let the public go in.  Such a reverent feeling to be in that place and seeing others worship in their own way.  I did lots of walking around and later took Michael there that night and we did the Missouri River walk and had beingets.  The next day I wasn't afraid at all to walk the 7 (?) miles to the graden district which is where all the historic mansions are, including LaFayette cemetary and the famous Commander's Palace restaraunt.  I was wishing I'd signed up for a walking tour to get more info but it was fun to be on my own time schedule.  I don't mind being alone and loved taking in all the sights, sounds and smells of such a charming city.  That night we at the Commander's Palace.  It was good but expensive!  Michael's parents honeymooned in NOLA almost 40 years ago and they went to the Preservation Hall where you have to wait in line for hours to hear legitimate jazz music.  Michael was at CME conferences most of the day, every day we were there so I headed that direction early evening hoping to get a spot in line.  Some parts of NOLA are sketchy.  I feared for my life at times.  I did make it to the preservation hall only to find out the line was already really long.  We missed getting into the early show by like 5 people so we could forget it or wait for 3 HOURS for the next show, and we decided to wait in line.  We did get great seats, though and the music was awesome.  The last day I wasn't going to do anything but decided kind of at the last minute to do a plantation tour.  I REALLY wanted to do the Oak Alley house but it was sold out so I did the Humous house and it was my favorite part of the entire trip.  Fun to just ride on the bus and see the sights (water everywhere) and then to have the tour.  The grounds were stunning with all the oak trees (my favorite) and immaculate landscaping.  The home started as a small house where the humous Indians worked and the home gradually enlarged over the years through remodeling and different owners.  I love a good history lesson and a beautiful, new exciting place.  I'm grateful to Michael for letting me tag along.


No comments: