Thursday, August 28, 2014

1st day of school 2014

 Today was a big day at the Asays!  Stetson started 2nd grace with Mary Hecimovich and Kandace started kindergarten with June Kovacs-Robins.  Well where to start.
Michael didn't have to go in until noon that day so he got to help get everyone ready and walk with us to school which was great.  I gave Kandace about 4 outfit options the night before and she chose her new Frozen shirt which was no surprise to me.  The day before, we had a catastrophe at Blanco Blanco where her bangs got cut way too short.  You can request a special post about that if you want.  I don't have anything to say about it other than we won't be taking her to cosmetology schools for haircuts any more.
Stetson and Kandace woke up great on the big day.  They were both dressed and ready to go long before it was time to go.  They were super anxious and excited to start the first day of school!  We'd gone to registration 2 nights before which went great and they both seemed excited about their teachers.  Since Kandace is our picky breakfast eater we bought her some fruit cups we thought she'd like so she had that and Stetson had cereal.  After our traditional pictures outside we headed towards Rose Park elementary.  Michael and I could barely keep up with S& K they were so excited!  When we got there there were tons of parents with their kids obviously, all walking in the circle like usual.  I jumped right in the circle with the kiddos while Michael and Janelle watched.  When the bell rang, Michael made sure Stetson got to the right place (I think he might have gone by himself though) and I took Kandace to her line.  We were standing there feeling very anxious when Ms. K (Kandace's teacher) instructed the parents to tell their students how they would be picked up that day.  So I started telling Kandace how she would be picked up and she thought I was leaving right then so she started to cry.  I told her I was still going to walk her inside and go in her classroom (which I did last year with Stetson) but then the principal said that even though it was my call, she said the sooner we said our goodbyes, the better.  So I kissed my girl with tears streaming down her face and quickly walked towards Michael and Janelle and had my first "first day of school" cry.  In my defense I didn't cry the other 2 years. Michael told me I could cry as much as I wanted.  He thought it was funny but he said his mom cried the first day of school every year, too. (love ya Jan:)  Being 37 weeks prego definitely doesn't help with my emotions, either.



This is my sweet girl waiting in line.  I LOVE THIS FACE more than I can say.
So I cried and complained to Michael all morning until my friend Melani came over to help me decorate my kitchen cabinets.  I had to dry it up for her. :)  I worried and stewed all day about Kandace (I knew Stetson was doing good and didn't worry about him) and couldn't wait until 2:20.  The time arrived and Kandace was a super happy girl and it was one of my best mom moments to see her face when her class lined up to come out the door and her eyes met mine.  She talked the most about lunch, then talked about "pencil work" and some other details.  I was so happy to have her home again and to hear about her day.
On the way home, Stetson said he loved school and couldn't wait until the next day.  I don't really know either of the kids' teachers but I'm hoping for a great year for both kids.  I'm always anxious for parent teacher conference where I can get the low down and get a better idea of whats going on.

Today was my 2nd day home with just Janelle and I really relished the moments today mostly since I wasn't as worried about Kandace.  I went visiting teaching to 3 different sisters all morning and she was a trooper and I was so proud of her and happy to have her with me.  She will be my buddy for another year at home so I need to take advantage of it and find some fun stuff for her to do.  It is super weird only having 1 at home even if its just for a couple more weeks.

No comments: