Tuesday, October 15, 2013

suffering

Last Friday morning was not my favorite...getting all the kids out the door by 8:05 to take Stetson to school was unusually difficult, lots of whining and lack of cooperation.  I was really irritable and to top it off I hit my head on the part of the cooler that sticks outside.  Ugh.  So I got Stetson dropped off, headed to the Y, dropped Kandace off and decided to just come home instead of stay and do my normal bootcamp routine.  I'd been planning on just taking that day off because my back was sore and I didn't feel bad about it at all.  So I come home and see I'd had some missed calls and heard a voice msg from an old friend from HS.  She said she had some questions so I called her back, she didn't answer that time but then called me right back.  She's had post-par tum depression and wanted to talk about it a little since she knew I'd had it too.  I know she was looking for some sort of relief and I wish there was a quick fix, even with meds which take a couple weeks to do anything.  I hurt for her because I know how hard it is but it felt so good to feel needed in a way I guess and to be able to relate with and help someone.  After our conversation I started thinking about suffering and even thought its miserable, I fortunately understand from a gospel perspective that suffering plays a fundamental part in Heavenly Father's plan.  I started thinking about what non-members, specifically my friend, think when they feel like they've been completely abandoned.  I remembered I'd posted a conference talk on my fb page about mental health that Elder Holland gave.  I sent my friend a quick msg and told her to go watch it and she already had.  I was so excited.  I sent her a msg about suffering and how it could easily make someone wonder why a loving Heavenly Father would let his children suffer.  I mentioned that it makes us stronger, more able to empathize with others experiencing similar trials, and it prepares us to meet God.
I'm so thankful to know these things and even though I would never wish my post-par tum days back, its helped me appreciate the happy days and helped me truly empathize with others who suffer.  I told my friend about how when my dad dropped me off for my first semester of college I bawled and was really depressed for like 2 days.  It was so weird looking back, I think my depression is triggered by change a lot of times, but it was indescribably difficult.  Thats the first time I learned first hand that one purpose of trials is to remind us of our reliance on God.  During those 2 days I was constantly praying, reading church books, trying to be so good and begging God to show me some mercy.  Miraculously I woke up the first day of classes literally a new person.  All symptoms of depression gone.  It doesn't always work that way but it did that time.
I'm so grateful for tender mercies and for that Friday morning that strengthened my testimony in a totally unexpected way.

No comments: